WalMart Search

Saturday, November 3, 2012

You can't take the sky from me

You know you enjoy something when you can listen, view, smell, taste, or feel it over and over again, and it still affects you like the first time.
Among some of the things that affect me that way are; Freebird by Lynyrd Skynyrd, I still get goosebumps when I hear Ronnie ask what song is it you want to hear; and when Riff Raff starts telling about Michael Rennie; when I smell the bubbling cheese and tomato sauce of a good lasagne; when I take that first sip of fine honey mead.
But this is about another of my true loves in life, Firefly and Serenity. I am starting to watch the series again for the I don't know how many times. I am a sci-fi and fantasy geek, enjoying where certain movies and books take me. Something about the Firefly class ship named Serenity just takes me further then any other. I think more then anything it is the freedom, being able to roam the galaxy, living by your wits. Life for most people is restricted. You live by the clock. Each day is the same thing over and over. Wake up in the morning, do what you are told and expected to do, go to bed early enough so you can do it again tomorrow. Waiting for the weekend, or if you have 2 or more jobs, just running one into the other. I have spent my whole life looking to the sky, wanting to run away, not looking back. Not to escape anything but to enjoy my life. To live, really live, with no shackles to hold me, free. Serenity is that freedom.
For now I'll just watch Firefly through to the end of the tv series, and then watch the movie Serenity, taking my freedom from the actions of Captain Mal, Zoe, Wash, Jane, Simon, River, Book, and Kaylee.

Ballad of Serenity
lyrics and music by Joss Whedon
sung by Sonny Rhodes

take my love
take my land
take me where I cannot stand
I don't care
I'm still free
you can't take the sky from me

take me out
to the black
tell 'em I ain't coming back
burn the land
and boil the sea
you can't take the sky from me

have no place
I can be
since I found Serenity
but you can't take the sky from me

No comments:

Post a Comment